Microphone background noise

• I have a G12 in my wife's Toyota Rav4. 

When placing a call at highway speeds the microphone picks up so much road noise that it's impossible to have a conversation. Her car is not loud & we didn't have this issue with the factory radio. We have tried various locations for the microphone (currently at the factory location). We have adjusted the levels in factory settings/voice but that doesn't affect how much road noise is picked up:  2 is too low, 6 seems about right... both are unusable at speed. 

I can't try another (generic) microphone because this unit has a proprietary microphone connection (not a 2.5/3.5mm jack).

Everything works perfectly when the car is parked or driving slowly but the microphone picks up too much road noise at highway speeds.

How can I fix this?

My Amazon order # is:  113-1098785-9973007

• I have disconnected the external microphone & the internal microphone seems to work with no road noise (but the conversation seems far away). Could this mean the external microphone is defective? 

• @Robert Ball Hi customer, we are wondering if the video to get improve your issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtAIJb4p__g

• @Support Dasaita no, this does not help. I tried leaving the microphone hanging from the rear view mirror so that it was not mounted to a hard surface with the same result. 

I do have another microphone that is the style shown in that video but the microphone connector for the g12 is not a standard connector so I cannot try the other microphone.

• @Robert Ball

We have already escalated the issue to the manufacturer. However, it seems that they are currently on Chinese New Year holiday and unable to test the problem at the moment.

We kindly request your patience until mid-February, as we will promptly urge them to address the issue as soon as they return to the office.

• Hello dasaita support , I also have a rav4 with a g12 headunit with same issue.  I tried all the above steps with no better results.  Other than this issue ,the unit is great!

• @Daniel Alvarado We are improving the zlink now, once there is new software, we will update for you. Your patience will be appreciated.

• @Support Dasaita  thank you for quick response.  It got  little better when I went to factory setting and changed mic volume from 5 to12  but still at higher speeds it gets worse. And I am not using zlink, I have a sim installed.and make calls from headunit itself, I did try zlink however before I got the sim card and figured it was a zlink connection problem, but issue still there either way zlink or not. Parked car sounds great moving not so great. But on positive note, this is an awesome headunit! How many people can say they can make calls and send and receive text messages,  emails, play game, watch online streaming, straight from a headunit without a cell phone connected to it!

• @Daniel Alvarado Our software engineer are woking on the zlink, once there is any new, we will let you know and then you could try to check with it.

• Hi everyone I figured out my microphone issue, I might be wrong but I think when using Bluetooth connected to my head unit it is not using the head unit microphone it is using the phone microphone and I believe that might be why it sound so good when connected via Bluetooth.  

But with Bluetooth off, wifi off,  and only using my sim card.to make.a.call directly from the head unit it had that tunnel sound  still when speaking the faster  I go ,the worse it got, parked sounded.decent though. But for sure it was using both microphones, in factory.settings, it is set to internal.

I tried to switch just setting just to use external microphone, but then I had no microphones working at all

I ( probably voided my warranty)  but I disconnected the white  ribbon from the head unit going to the display of the head unit( cable connected to internal microphone and reset.button) now I am only truly using just the external microphone.  I parked.and made a call sounded way better,then I drove and made a could and a huge improvement.  Here are links to 3 files, one with internal and external microphone connected and driving 45 mph ,

one with external microphone connected and parked, and lastly one with external microphone connected and last external microphone and driving

• Here is an update a day later,  itr raining,  and  driving  60mph and sounds great 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiR2bgfmKLour0KhDQAPfi9tDrOi

• @Daniel Alvarado Thank you for your solution. Actually, we are trying to improve the situation by updating the firmware. In the same time, we will let the engineer to shot a video of your procedure and let some costomer adjust it.

• @Daniel Alvarado 

By chance are you albe to share some pics of the the ribbon cable you are referencing?  Appears the front faceplate has to be removed in order to access this cable?  At least that appears to be the case for mine. (5th Gen 4Runner).

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ron

• @Support Dasaita 

Has this video been made availalbe as I am interested in disconnecting the internal mic.

Thank you

Ron

• @R. L. You could refer to the video of how to remove the internal Microphone, but it needs some tools.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v2tarndhexzz87l4h10ka/How-to-remove-the-internal-Microphone.mp4?rlkey=wdl3xk0ga1voko4s6ep6cd84u&dl=0

• @Support Dasaita :  Hello, I am able to remove the (4) screws but only the top is free.  Bottom is still connected somehow.  I have the Vivid11 for a 2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited.

Anything I am missing?

RL

• @Support Dasaita :  Update:  I was able to remove the additional (4) screws, lift the main unit up and there are (2) additional screws holding the overall unit in place.  I removed these and can now lift the main unit up a few inches.  I see a large ribbon cable on the side where the mic is.  

Is this the ribbon cable to disconnect for the internal mic?

• @Support Dasaita :  Update, I was able to remove this ribbon cable which is on the left side (mic side).  Connected everything back up.  Appears the internal mic is no longer connected, unfortunately the square lights on the front (left side only) no longer light up being the ribbon cable is disconnected.  This would be the lights for the Home and Music labels no longer light up.

Best case scenario is for Dasaita to allow complete disablement of the internal mic through the unit settings.

• @Support Dasaita Hello Dasaita, any response to my messages above?  Any suggestions?

• 1 / 2